So there was a dude at the office who was using a gym ball as a chair. It seemed really cool to me. Freedom to sit in strange ways in front of the computer and claim its healthy. So of course I got one for myself too!
If you are considering doing the same, here are a few things I have noticed so far:
- It’s a bit tricky in the beginning, but you get to used to it rather quickly. So no worries there.
- There are many approaches. I can think of three ways to sit on this thing:
- Normally. As if it was a chair.
- “Lotus” -like thingy, as I do most of the time.
- On your knees
Pick your favorite.
- Size matters.
- Balancing on the ball is a lot of fun. It just tends to distract you from whatever you were trying to do on the computer. But it has to be good exercise for abdomen and back, so nevermind.
- This thing has never come across the word slippery. It’s impossible to move spatially on this. Which means you had better figure out a perfect location to hop on from where you can comfortably type. Any attempt to get closer leads to rolling (or better yet, compensating move and rolling backwards).
- It is very handy to store the ball beneath the table when you are not using it. Chairs do this, but this saves a little bit of floor space and looks way cooler.
- Sturdy desk would be nice in cases of emergency, a.k.a side-slide.
Not sure if this makes any sense, but so far I’m happy with the setup.